The village of Mandria is located about 35 kilometers
northwest of the city of Limassol and is connected with Pano Platres
in the northeast, with Pera Pedi in the southeast, with Omodos in
the southwest and with Agios Nikolaos in the west.
The village is built upon mountainous territory
at an average altitude of 830 meters. Narrow, deep valleys and high
mountaintops -with heights that reach up to a thousand meters -characterize
the terrain of the village. The tributaries of the river Cha-potami
that flow in the region fragment the landscape.
Mandria receives a very high average annual rainfall,
reaching up to 800 millimeters; winemaking varieties of vines, and
various fruit trees (apple trees, pear trees, cherry trees, plum
trees, and quince trees), as well as walnut trees, olive trees,
locust trees, and almond trees are cultivated in the area. Stockbreeding
is very limited in the village.
The village has undergone many fluctuations of
its population. In 1881 the inhabitants of the village numbered
282, increasing to 382 in 1901 and to 446 in 1911. In 1921 the population
decreased to 418 and in 1931 to 409. The urban pull phenomenon that
started hitting all the villages of Cyprus also hit Mandria, resulting
in a decrease of population to 323 in 1946 and to 272 in 1960. In
1973 the population decreased to 235 and in 1982 to 158. Today the
permanent inhabitants number 150. During the months of summer an
increase of population is observed, reaching a peak during the month
of August when the population can reach up to 1500.
The development of tourism has not affected Mandria
to a great degree, in spite of the fact that it is very close to
the known tourist resorts of Troodos. Even today it preserves its
picturesque quality and all the projects carried out in it blend
in with the natural environment of the village.
Mandria is one of those villages that have developed
during recent years. Of course, it existed even during the era of
the Turkish domination and it can be found marked on old maps under
the name of Mandala or Mandalo. Most probably the village was in
existence even before that as a small settlement of shepherds, just
as its name proves. The name comes from the fact that -initially
-only a few small folds (mandres) existed there; consequently Mandria
meant "a venue with folds".
However, during the era of the Turkish domination
it grew because of the many people arriving from a large, nearby
settlement that was abandoned. That settlement was the one called
Milavri, included in censuses of the Venetian era. (De Masse Latri
cites it as Milari). We do not know the reasons for the abandonment
of Milavri, however, what is considered most probable is that its
inhabitants abandoned it after an epidemic that broke out so as
to save themselves from it. Then most of them found refuge in the
nearby Mandria, which probably was a territory of theirs to begin
The Church of the village is dedicated to
St. George. Gunnis (1935) makes a specific reference to the upper
place -set apart for women -of this church, vividly painted with
scenes from the Old Testament.